Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A Very Busy Week . . .

Hi folks,

I should have called this post "A Very Busy Month," because it's taken me that long to get around to finishing it. I know you all have busy lives (probably busier than mine,) so I'm not claiming anything unique, but I did get a few good pictures out of the week, hence the post.

I started school on Monday the 3rd. I'm only taking 8 credits, but I forgot how much home work that means in the College world, so I've been on my toes with that.

Our landlord is having her yard landscaped and we're doing the labor for some of our rent. About 25 shrubs were dropped off and waiting to go in the ground the day before school started.

Ethan's Ebay business (he sells antique electronics and audio tubes, and any odd-ball item he can find at GoodWill that happens to be worth more money than people realize) suddenly took off and is keeping him hopping.

On Sunday, the 2nd, my dear friend, Marta--whom I met when I first moved to La'akea--came to visit for the week. We had events scheduled almost every day for her and I hosted a girls party for her that Friday. Marta is from Brazil. Her father is a diplomat so she has lived all over the world and speaks 7 languages, including Italian, French and Japanese. She's very engaging and fun to have around, and for me it was a relief just to have another female in the house.

The boys have had home rugby games every Saturday for the last month (and that means parents provide food for the "social" with the other team after the game.) Last but not least, Eugene Saturday Market opened for the season which no good Eugenian misses.

The day after Marta left we had a new house mate, Curtice, move in. Curtice was born, well actually made, in 1916, and he is beautiful and full of spirit.

Curtice is made of solid Oak and weighs about a thousand pounds. Curtice is an upright grand piano we were given. It took most of the day Monday to clear space for him to live and just to get him in the door. Curtice's previous residence was on the 10th floor of one of the few high rise apartment buildings in Eugene. We called several movers who said it would take 3-4 men + $$$'s. In the end we hired an old gentleman who the previous owner recommended. He came with amazing tools and knowledge he'd inherited from his father who had been in the business since the early 1900's. We got a full college course in piano construction and history. The man had to be in his 70's and had a hernia that he'd have to tuck back in after a particularly strenuous movement (which was a little disconcerting, in a charming way.)

I'm enjoying all your posts and wish I was motivated to make my blog as beautiful as yours are.














No comments: